EURODOC fosters the development of documentary film projects in a highly challenging and creative manner.
The annual training programme is designed for European documentary producers (+ 20% of non-European producers) who want to enhance the development stage of their projects internationally and more broadly for film professionals, especially people involved in supporting documentary film productions (commissioning editors from TV channels and representatives from documentary film funds).
© GIACINTO SCELSI, THE FIRST MOTION OF THE IMMOVABLE by Sebastiano D'Ayala Valva. EURODOC PROJECT in 2015. Produced by Nicolas Lesoult (Les Films de la Butte, France).
The main goals and objectives of the program are:
- To improve the development of documentary projects with international potential, their financing and management;
- To get a deep insight into the technological changes in the fields of development, production and distribution; To reinforce the international dimension of small and medium-sized companies;
- To encourage transnational cooperation and to provide a clear overview on the international film market situation;
- To set up a sustainable networking of skills and exchanges by bringing together the professionals and the decision makers of this sector;
- To take into account the specific needs of professionals in European countries with low audio-visual production capacity and to provide them with useful tools.
Throughout the 3 sessions, all the fundamentals of production are covered, ranging from the analysis of the artistic quality of the project, to reflecting on the relationship between the director and the producer. These fundamentals include such aspects as the negotiation of rights clearance, the financing of development, the different production and budgeting approaches, the identification of potential international partners, the drafting of different co-production agreements, making a trailer and preparing a pitch, the management of a production company, the promotion and distribution (traditional and alternative) of the film once it is finished and insights into the documentary film market. During the second part of this 3rd session, one-to-one meetings are organised for the participants with some of the main figures in the documentary world (commissioning editors, programmers, distributors, curators, producers).
EURODOC is an observatory providing a panorama of contemporary creative documentary production. It is a privileged platform that provides constant updates on creative documentary film and production system.